This blog post shares all the details of the Bonus Tribe – including the backstory to this opportunity to expand your chances to join us on chapter!
Bonus Tribe: The Backstory
One of our most steadfast values has always been to keep our chapters intimate and close-knit. We’ve seen how similar groups have brought in 50+ members, only to have the groups split off into cliques – this was never our vision for WiFi Tribe!
Instead, we greatly value the tight-knit community that develops within our chapters – and we know our members value that too.
So as our Tribe has grown, we’ve seen some cool things happen – one of which is having a delightful overabundance of members in a location, beyond what we could accommodate on chapter!
Medellin 2019: The Bonus Tribe Inspiration
We kicked off 2019 in Colombia with the biggest chapter WiFi Tribe has ever seen! With 25 members officially on chapter and another 15+ in town (in their own accommodation), we essentially had a 40+ strong Tribe rocking out together in Medellin!
While it was (obviously) amazing to see so many of us together in one place and to witness and experience the deep-running bonds among our Tribe, it meant that the chapter expanded beyond what we really had capacity for. It also brought a bit of confusion and chaos to Tribe members who had officially paid for the chapter, and weren’t sure what experience to expect with all of these additional members joining for group events.
For many official chapter members, the experience was confusing, overwhelming, and even a bit disconnected. We knew it was time to gather the energy of this group’s potential, and direct it in a clear and inclusive way – one that maintains the intimate Tribe experience, while providing a bit of flexibility and expansiveness on chapters where more members want to join in!
Introducing… The Bonus Tribe
Now, Tribers who don't manage to snag a spot on one of our chapters before we fill up will have the option to join as a Bonus Triber ($350 for the month.)
Now, you may be asking – why not just open up more space to officially join the chapter?
This comes down to one of our initial firm values described above, and what we believe makes the Tribe stand out from the rest: Keeping our chapters smaller keeps the experience more intimate and close-knit – a unique attribute among so many other larger groups that expand simply to meet the level of demand.
That said, we believe that the opportunity to join as Bonus Triber offers the best of both worlds. Members can now join in for much of the full experience of a chapter if they miss out on booking a spot – especially as some of our locations this year will be limited to 15-20 members.
Why did we add the Bonus Triber option?
Did we do this to make more money? Absolutely not. If we were, we would simply open up more spaces to join us on chapter.
In fact – we’re actually reducing the number of rooms available on chapter this year, as 80% of our chapters in 2020 will accommodate up to 20 members.
We’re committed to the tight-knit experiences that have made the Tribe what it is so far – and that won’t be changing.
Yes, our reduced accommodations means that we’ll be earning less – but it also allows us to plan for a few “Bonus Tribers” and still keep our chapters at that intimate level we all appreciate.
Bonus Tribe: What’s Included?
So, what exactly is included as a Bonus Triber?
- Slack channels - you’ll be added to all of our chapter channels to stay in the loop with all adventures, activities, meetups, skillshares, and coordinations among chapter members
- Weekend Trips - Anything the Tribe plans, you’ll be a part of for that chapter!
- Skillshares - Join our skillshare workshops to uplevel your personal and professional development, network, mastermind, and take your business/work to the next level.
- All Meetings, Dinners and Events - You’ll be a part of our introductory meeting, group dinners, networking events, and literally anything and everything the Tribe plans for this chapter. Our members have reflected that this community is the #1 value add for joining the Tribe – and this is exactly what you’ll get at a Bonus Triber.
Bonus Tribe: More Details
So, what’s the fine print?
- The Bonus Triber option is only available if a chapter is FULLY BOOKED. (Not sure? Send us an email and we'll let you know!)
- On a fully booked chapter, you may join as a Bonus Triber in all of the above-mentioned ways for $350.
- As a Bonus Triber, you are responsible for your own accommodations – we will let you know where we're staying so you can book a place nearby!
- If you are in town for less than the full chapter, you may join as a Bonus Triber for $100 per week.
- If you’ve booked on as a Bonus Triber and a spot then becomes available on the chapter, we will reach out to you first to jump in if you like! (Note: once confirmed as a Bonus Triber, if a spot opens up you are not required to take it - you may remain as a Bonus Triber for that chapter.)
- All chapter Slack channels are private to ensure that only official chapter members and Bonus Tribers are involved.
Note that we may be offering a bigger “All-Tribe” meetup on some locations to include all members who aren’t in the chapter accommodations or officially on-chapter as a Bonus Triber.
I Want to Bonus Tribe!
Great 🙂 We're excited to have you! The first step is to email us at email@example.com with the chapter you'd like to join – if the chapter is full to capacity, you will have the option to Bonus Tribe!
You will then receive a link to make your payment ($350/month or $100/week.) Once that's through, you'll receive a confirmation and will be added to the Slack channels as soon as we set them up for the chapter!
We will also send you the location of our accommodations so you can book something nearby. From there, we'll see you soon on chapter!!
We’re excited to offer this new option to expand your possibilities for joining us around the world – if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bonus Tribe FAQs
Wait, so which chapters can I joins as a Bonus Triber?
Any chapters which are FULL are available to join in as a Bonus Triber!
What happens if a spot opens up on the chapter?
If a spot becomes available, you'll be one of the first to know! It's always best to join us for the full chapter experience living together!) However, if you've already been confirmed as a Bonus Triber, you will not be required to join the full chapter – you can still be a part of the Bonus Tribe.
I haven't joined an official chapter yet (I'm a new member!) – can I Bonus Tribe?
Unfortunately, no. We require all new members to join us officially on a chapter first before joining as a Bonus Triber! This is to give you the FULL experience (trust us - there's nothing like living with the Tribe!!) The Bonus Tribe is a way to stay included with the chapter if spots are full, but you need the full experience first!
How will I know where to stay as a Bonus Triber?
You'll be responsible for sorting out your own accommodations as a Bonus Triber - but we'll let you know where we'll be so you can book something nearby! You can also organize with other Bonus Tribers to share a place together if you like!
So I can come to all the dinners, trips, skillshares, meetings, everything?
Yup! You'll be included in all the chapter activities - literally the only thing you can't do is sleep in our beds! 🙂
What about co-working? Can I join you for working at the chapter house?
Sure thing - if co-working is going down, you'll be more than welcome to join us in the house or apartment just as if you were on chapter! And you'll be looped into cafe co-working days, along with all the rest of the other activities too.
Can I try Bonus Tribing for a week, then extend if I like it?
Sure! It's $100 for the week, and $350 for the month – so you do save a bit if you commit to the month, but we're happy to go week-by-week as well!