What are the most popular Cape Town coworking spaces to get stuff done while visiting Africa’s nomad hotspot?
As almost any digital nomad who’s ever stayed and worked there will tell you, Cape Town is one of the most amazing cities for remote workers – not just in South Africa, but in the world. You have mountains, oceans, amazing food, local markets, a hopping night scene, breweries, gin distilleries, and of course, the African wildlife in national parks just a few short hours drive away. It’s not surprising that our WiFi Tribe members love it here so much that we stay for at least three months a year.
And, yes, Cape Town is super easy to work from, too. Not only do most cafes offer free wifi, but coworking spaces all around the city have exploded over the last few years. Let’s take a closer look at the 10 coworking spaces in the city’s most popular areas, shall we?
The Victoria & Albert Waterfront, V&A Waterfront for short, is located at the foot of Signal Hill, with Table Mountain in the background, and the deep blue waters of Table Bay surrounding it. There are a myriad of ways to spend time at the V&A Waterfront, from eating, drinking, shopping, helicopter and sailing tours, and watching local concerts or theater productions. The Waterfront is definitely Cape Town’s tourist showpiece – but remote workers also come to work, for there are a couple of great coworking spaces here.
Workshop 17 Watershed offers 120 hot desks, standing desks, and dedicated seats. Members can make use of meeting rooms and board rooms for private meetings, or sit down together at the Pure Good Cafe in the public space, which seats over 80 people.
There’s even an incubator called Ideas Lounge for brainstorming new ideas together or just holding more unofficial meetings, with small meeting tables and writable walls.
There are also private offices and office suites with dedicated work areas in a shared space for startups or small teams looking for privacy. They all feature lock-up-and-go facilities, cleaning services, and access to the amenities. Currently, more than 470 entrepreneurs and 100 companies work there.
Besides Watershed on the Waterfront, Workshop 17 has three other locations all around Cape Town:
Workshop 17 also has three locations in Johannesburg.
- 4 meeting rooms – 6 seats
- 2 boardrooms – 16 seats
- 2 seminar rooms – up to 80 seats
- 330m² main event space with space for up to 250 people
- Printing facilities
- Events managers and professional events team for members’ events
- Meeting rooms equipped with screens, projectors, plug-and-play facilities, uncapped WiFI, and audio
- Regular events supporting entrepreneurship, learning, and networking in various fields
Check out the membership prices of Workshop 17 here:
You can also join the Workshop 17 community across South Africa without committing to a membership, by buying a day pass at the following prices (in South African Rand ZAR, including VAT):
- Day Use Rate: 281.75 ZAR
- 5-Day Package: 1,242 ZAR
- 10-Day Package: 2,300 ZAR
- 20-Day Package: 4,370 ZAR
Cube Workspace offers several different customizable packages – including virtual ones! – in various locations across the city. From a shared “Co-Space”, over small and large offices, as well as meeting and board rooms for hire, you can’t just choose where you and your team would like to set up their office; you can also assemble a variety of different services to suit your specific business needs. Check out the various services and pricing offered for the different office solutions:
Cube Workspace also has a unique “virtual office” feature, where you get a business address and professional call answering service for all your business communication, without occupying any physical office space. You’re able to choose from different custom-made services to suit your requirements. If at some point you do need physical office space, you’re able to upgrade to one of the co-spaces or private offices. Check out the virtual office features and pricing.
These are the other two Cube Workspace locations in Cape Town:
And there are three in Johannesburg as well.
- 51 Offices
- 3 Boardrooms, equipped with flat screens, WiFi, telephone and video conferencing
- 164 Desks
- Virtual Office, with a business address and professional call answering service
- Center Manager
- IT-Support, which includes onsite support, high-speed fiber connectivity, and multifunction printers
- Cube Cafe
- 24-hour biometric access, CCTV coverage, and secure parking
Pricing varies, depending on which office solution and service package you go for, but start at 2,100 ZAR per month. Check out the different offers including pricing.
Central Business District (CBD)
Cape Town’s CBD is the city’s core, where all business ventures, social outings, and nightly excursions evolve out of a diverse range of coffee shops, restaurants, nightclubs, bars, museums, craft markets, theaters, shopping malls, and hotels. This makes the CBD the perfect base from which to explore the city – and a great place to work from, with the numerous coworking spaces located there.
Seedspace is a global network of innovative entrepreneurs that includes services like an Investment Readiness Program to get startups ready for fundraising, hosting events and workshops for members, as well as coliving. Seedspace also offers hot desks or dedicated desk plans, as well as private offices in locations all over the world – including Cape Town.
- High-speed internet
- Access to meeting rooms
- Office storage space
- 20 Pages printed / month
- Access to kitchen
- Free coffee and tea
- Events and workshops
- Access to Seedstars Summits
Book a free day pass at any of the locations before deciding on the type of package you want to buy, starting with the following hot desk prices:
- 1-Day Pass: 100 ZAR
- 1-Week Pass: 500 ZAR
- 1-Month Pass: 2,000 ZAR
- 6-Month Pass: 1,800 ZAR / month
- 1-Year Pass: 1,600 ZAR /month
Inner City Ideas Cartel offers various premium workspaces on a membership basis. The “Cartel’s” goal is to encourage entrepreneurs by enabling productivity, opportunity, and positive work experience. Both Cartel House locations in the CBD are beautiful designer spaces. You sign up on a membership basis, ranging from day passes to all-inclusive packages that allow access to coworking spaces, pools, lounges, bars, gyms, and also a partner perks program.
- Hot desks, dedicated desks or dedicated private offices
- Access from 8 to 5 for a day pass and weekly pass users
- 24/7 access for monthly pass coworking and dedicated desk/office members
- Uncapped internet
- Board room facilities at reduced members’ rates
- Onsite network support
- Cartel House mobile app
- Business address and shared reception for monthly pass members
- Meeting rooms for 6, 8, 10, or 20 people
For coworking, the prices (excluding VAT) start at
- 1-Day Pass: 350 ZAR/day
- 1-Week Pass: 1,500 ZAR/week
- 1-Month Pass: 2,000 ZAR/month
For office spaces, the prices (excluding VAT) start at
- Shared office space: 5,000 ZAR/month
- Private office (2-3 seats): 12,500 ZAR/month
- Company office (6-12 seats): 21,500 ZAR/month
- Custom buildout: 200 ZAR/square-meter/month
5. Work & Co
Located on super central Bree Street, Work & Co offers an innovative, flexible and ambitious collaborative workspace. The self-proclaimed “accelerator” is set in a beautiful designer space equipped with everything you need to inspire productivity and innovation. Work & Co takes its name from its four core values: work, community, collaboration, and commitment.
- Hot desks
- Shared office space, secured
- Private office space with 24-hour access and IP-phone
- Fast WiFi
- Fingerprint access
- Secured entrance
- Parking bays
- Printers, copiers, scanners
- Telephone booths
- Cleaning service
- Kitchen with free coffee, tea & filtered water
- Air conditioning
There are various hot desk memberships available:
- 1-Day Pass: 390 ZAR/day
- 5-Day Pass: 880 ZAR/month
- 10-Day Pass: 1,500 ZAR/month
- Unlimited: 2,700 ZAR/month
No. 80 Hout Street is a beautiful, spacious 276m² loft coworking studio in a simple, industrial design. Members love the no-frills space, which allows for concentrated work without distractions. There’s also a room terrace, contemporary art collection and plenty of functional facilities for your use.
- Internet (100MB Fibre, 24GB/mo account included)
- Electricity (let’s try and save OK)
- Cleaning (but do clean up after yourself please)
- Shared fridge & kitchen (keep it fresh, keep it clean)
- Locker space (for files or whatever)
- Industrial Full Color A4/A3 Printer (billed separately)
The coworking space offers two types of desk solutions for members:
- 2,200 ZAR/mo: 1.8m fixed desk
- 2,800 ZAR/mo: 2.0m fixed ‘window’ desk
Woodstock is an edgy, evolving neighborhood in Cape Town. Hipster cafes, quirky stores, veggie eateries, the famous (and yummy) Neighbourgoods Market, and galleries occupy old factories that are covered with vivid murals.
Kelvin Corner provides a variety of flexible solutions to accommodate creative professionals. It incorporates a shared workspace, offices, workshop, creative studios, art gallery, cafe, and event space. Kelvin Corner includes spaces like a video editing suite, podcast recording room, photographic studio, and gear servicing lab, which aims to give creative entrepreneurs, freelancers, business owners, and artists the perfect space and freedom to create.
- Fast & Reliable Fibre Internet
- Fully equipped workshop to service gear
- In-house cafe with artisan coffee
- Mountain view meeting room
- Private rooftop with sun deck
- Communal kitchen
- Chill lounge/lunch spot
- Network of creatives
- Access to the workshop
- Affiliate programs
- Brewery next door
Prices start with the hot desks, ranging in the following:
- 1-Day Pass: 150 ZAR/day
- 1-Week Pass: 750 ZAR/week
- 1-Month Pass: 1,500 ZAR/month
- 1-Year Pass: 18,000 ZAR/month
8. The Bureaux
The Bureaux provides creative office and desk space for like-minded entrepreneurs and small businesses. The “Nomad Spaces” offers hot desks and meeting rooms, while the Desk Space provides dedicated personal desks, and the Office Suites supply private, secure offices for teams of any size.
The Bureaux has another location in the popular Sea Point neighborhood.
- Flexible packages available for traveling and virtual office members
- Shared meeting rooms and kitchen facilities
- Uncapped internet, high speed on demand
- 3-month notice period to end the lease at any given month-end
- Unique business services, including digital marketing and business services
The Bureaux’s prices start at
- 1,000 ZAR/month for Nomad Spaces
- 1,850 ZAR/month for Desk Space
- 6,000 ZAR/month for Office Suites
This popular leisure district is dominated by the park of the same name, lined with lakes, jogging trails, a hedge maze, and a biodiversity garden with indigenous flora. Cape Town Stadium is also located in the park, while espresso bars, Italian restaurants, and burger joints line the main road, and joggers and bikers run along the city’s popular promenade.
9. Glee at Work
This pay-as-you-go co-working space offers clients a flexible payment plan that works for entrepreneurs, start-ups or freelancers. The space presents itself in a rainbow of playful colors and striking artwork. The glass facade lets in natural light. Glee at Work provides seating in booths and hot desk, mezzanine floor workspace, private office space, and a board room.
- Flexible payment plan instead of binding membership fees
- A quick and easy booking system
- Private offices for skype- or conference calls
- High-speed uncapped fiber internet
- Private offices, hot desks and booths, or a boardroom to work from
- Coffee corner
- Smoking room
Reserve your workspace at the following pricing:
- Booth Seating & Hot Desks: 250 ZAR/day
- Mezzanine Floor: 275 ZAR/day
- Private Office: 300 ZAR/day
- Boardroom: 275 ZAR per half-hour
10. House Of _
“Where your impossible comes to life.” That’s what House Of _ promises and delivers with a mix of spaces to talk, meet, make calls, and of course, work. The team created a space for when you’re having cabin fever and need a fresh perspective to make your dream projects come to life.
- Dedicated hot desks
- Private & shared offices with standing desks
- 10-Seat boardroom
- Meeting rooms & zen pods to mellow out
- Printing services
- Bottomless coffee, tea, and hot chocolate
There are several more coworking spaces to be found beyond the above-mentioned, central and most popular areas of the city. Check out these spaces if you plan to stay in one of the following areas:
- The African Hub, Salt River
- Akro, Salt River
- Craft & Graft, Gardens
- ORIBI Village, Gardens
- Regus, several locations
- Cape Town Office, East City
WiFi Tribe has four amazing chapters coming up in Cape Town at the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020. Don’t miss out on this beautiful city with our amazing members, and check out how we colive, cowork and have fun together in Cape Town.